Slade Gardens is changing - 2015 & 2016
If you haven't been to the gardens recently you won't have yet seen that a few changes have taken place in 2015 and more changes planned in 2016. Some sponsored trees (thanks to those generous doners who contributed) have been planted. New areas are being created eg an outdoor gym and the park has been generally smartened up. The south gates next to the Crown & Anchor have been opened up.
A few have taken to unlawfully driving vehicles through the park, do please report incidents to the police and council.
So while other parks in the area have been transformed (Myatt's Fields, Vauxhall, Kennington, Max Roach) poor old Slade Gardens is catching up.
The Friends of Slade Gardens was formed in 2009 with the aim of complete regeneration of the park. So far the Friends have:
- Conducted a survey and consultation on what local people want from the park
- Developed a draft masterplan (alternatives 1 and 2) to work from
- Set up a website (www.sladegardens.org.uk)
- Developed a steering group with Lambeth parks department
- Applied for grant funding for project 1 - a new playground
- Opened discussions with playground designers
- Set up communication over maintenance - mowing, tree care etc
- Collected donations and planted trees
- Started collecting for new flower beds
There is £140k to come from section 106 money from Stockwell Park Estate (money paid to a local authority by developers to contribute to local amenity). We are hopeful that more section 106 money might come to us from the new development on Stockwell Green. Apart from that, we will have to raise all the money ourselves and we need about £2 million in total!
Please have a look at the website and find out all about it. You can see the plans there too.
We are always interested to hear what people think about what we are doing - and extremely interested to hear your ideas about funding streams, raising money or help of any kind.