Slade Gardens is desperate for a make-over !
While other parks in the area have been transformed (Myatt's Fields, Vauxhall, Kennington, Max Roach) poor old Slade Gardens has been neglected and left to deteriorate. The Friends of Slade Gardens was formed in 2009 with the aim of complete regeneration of the park. So far the Friends have:
- Conducted a survey and consultation on what local people want from the park
- Developed a draft masterplan (alternatives 1 and 2) to work from
- Set up a website (www.sladegardens.org.uk)
- Developed a steering group with Lambeth parks department
- Applied for grant funding for project 1 - a new playground
- Opened discussions with playground designers
- Set up communication over maintenance - mowing, tree care etc
There is £140k to come from section 106 money from Stockwell Park Estate (money paid to a local authority by developers to contribute to local amenity). We are hopeful that more section 106 money might come to us from the new development on Stockwell Green. Apart from that, we will have to raise all the money ourselves - and we need about £2million in total !
Please have a look at the website and find out all about it. You can see the plans there too.
We are always interested to hear what people think about what we are doing - and extremely interested to hear your ideas about funding streams, raising money or help of any kind.